Friday, July 29, 2011

San Pedro- week 1..... Whoa!

Kumusta!

I bet you're all surprise at receiving an email from me, but it's actually preparation day.  I guess it's been a crazy week, but they gave us today for our preparation day. But they're usually on monday.  I don't even know where to begin. I wrote a letter that gave some details about what I did for the first two days so I won't repeat myself.  I'm in the San Pedro area. There are 16 missionaries in our zone and only two sisters... my companion and me.  My companion's name is Sister Fabrigas (?) and she's Filipino.  She's also like a foot smaller than me, needless to say.. that doesn't happen much :)  I love it here already.  There's a lot of work that needs to be done, especially since they say that this area isn't growing very much.  Yes, I understand very little of what they say, but eventually I will speak and understand this language. My companion is nice and has a very, very strong Filipino accent.... great learning experience for me. Hopefully, I won't ask her to repeat herself soon..  :) This is her last transfer and then she goes home in September.  The group I came with into the Philippines are the first ones in this mission to be on the new missionary training program.  I'm here for at least 12 weeks because that's the new training program.  For these 12 weeks, there are 2 hours of  companion study every day and then after the 12 weeks it goes back down to one.  There's a lot more that this program includes but my brain isn't working very well right now :)
Words cannot describe this place or what I've been feeling....  I love it here already.  It's been of weird to have so many people stare at me, but then again I stick out with my white skin. For the first time in my life I
feel quite tall :)  Kind of a weird feeling... not sure how you people at home are used to it.  hehe  It's a culture shock, but I'm already learning a lot. Again... I really don't know how to describe this place, it's nothing I've ever seen in all the places I've been..... next email I'll say more when I have time to formulate my thoughts.  I think I'm slowly getting how to use the bucket when washing... soon I'll be a master! Also I had the experience of eating with my hands and riding in all sorts of vehicles. I love the experience here. The zone seems really great. We had zone meeting today and it was all in Tagalog because they all speak it... and I don't.
Not to mention that the majority of them are Filipino.  I understood a little bit of it but with time I should understand a lot more. Did you know that the Philippines has the most converts in all the missions in the world and I guess the highest numbers? (I'll look at my notes and correct myself if I'm wrong in the next email) And around 74% of all the missionaries in the Philippines are Filipino. The Philippines has over 90 million people and the church makes up .07% of the population. There are over 600,000 members
in the Philippines. It's pretty cool stuff. I get to be in the mission that was the very first one in the Philippines. All of the other missions have sprung out of this one. It's pretty cool. I love my mission president and
his wife!  They're really great! I've also have so much to work on but it will be a great learning experience.  If you have any questions let me know!

Mahal ko Kayo!
Sister Mohrman

No comments:

Post a Comment