Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mandaluyong- week 1.........good 'ole metro manila

Kumusta!

So.. as the heading states, I have been transferred. Actually the four sisters from Las Pinas were pulled out and elders were put there.... so my companion got transferred to. hehe  If you look at the map of the mission, I just keep moving up, haha :)  It's pretty funny. Apparently, I'm meant to be a city missionary because I've been in all city zones so far. I like it. I'm now currently in Mandaluyong... it's a real city. Personally, I think that the area I'm in right now is like New York City. You have Brooklyn, Manhattan, etc... so I think that Mandaluyong is like that with Makati being the big main one and the other areas are like suburbs to it. It's pretty interesting. It's great. It's funny... so far in every zone I've been in so far, there's been a connection to it. While I was in San Pedro, I received the referral for the person in Las Pinas.... and voila! I get transferred to it. This case, I had stayed in this area for about a day and a half after my first transfer because I was waiting for my new companion. Also, I met this girl who volunteers at the family history center at the temple and she remembered me every time I went up there and it turns out that I'm now serving in her ward... so it's pretty ironic. The girl's name is Lena and she's leaving on a mission in March. She's serving in the visitor's center in Hawaii by the temple. That's pretty exciting. The ward is really great and really functional as a ward. I'm excited for lessons I've already learned and for the many more lessons ahead of me this transfer. I bet you're wondering about my new companion, eh? hehe  I was surprised at this, but not really... it's hard to explain. Her name is Sister George and she's from India. Pretty exciting.  I think that so far in my mission, my interest in my majors has grown so much more and with her so far, it's fueling the desire even more. It's great. She also knows a bit of Arabic.. so later on in the transfer when I get a better grasp of Tagalog, she's going to teach me some Arabic... I'm pretty excited... no worries, Tagalog is my main focus, it's a great language, full of challenges :) haha. She knows a lot of languages, though and she goes home in May. For her whole entire mission, she's been in the bigger cities in Metro-Manila and she's never been to province and she really, really wants to go to province... I get the feeling that after this transfer, she'll go to province for her last two transfers and I'll stay in the Makati zone next transfer... it's funny, the feelings you receive as you ponder. God really does have a sense of humor... I realize that more and more as things happen and areas I'm in, companions I'm with, etc...  I'm excited for the lessons up ahead of me. 
The Area Presidency broadcast was great. It's amazing what was said and the statistics that were shared. There's not enough time to write everything that was said but I'll give you a general idea. The Philippines is the cradle of Christianity in Asia. No other country can compare to it. There's also been some incredible prophecies about this land, it's going to play a huge role in the future in preparing for the second coming... it's amazing...One of them is that soon, the majority of the missionaries in Asia will be Filipino and they will be sharing with all of the Asian countries. However, right now in the Philippines, they are one generation away in the church from being extinct. Hence the high numbers of less actives. So now the focus is on the rising generation (you know the youth and young single adults like myself, that type of thing) and four other goals/focuses. They have five goals/visions for the year 2012 and I'm humbled that I get to experience this for the entire year. The Area Presidency also announced that they asked all the missionaries in all of the Philippines to help. We literally are on a rescue mission and it's so humbling to learn all this information and what we are embarking on. We are now working hand in hand with members and reclaiming the lost sheep... and as we are doing this, we're finding new investigators. It's amazing.  If only members realized the power they have in helping the less-actives... there wouldn't be any problem like this in the world! The Area Presidency was also focusing on the need for the doctrine to be shared and the focus on becoming better teachers, better spiritual environment for people to come to church, better visiting and home teaching, basically better everything. There was lots said and I took a lot of notes but there's not enough time... sorry :S No where else in the world is there a huge problem like this. I'm humbled that I get to be a part of this effort and determined to help! Thanks for the emails I've received.. I appreciate them!  

Mahal ko Kayo
Sister Mohrman 


No comments:

Post a Comment